Monday, July 9, 2012

Polka Dot Hand

I was once tricked by my students. In my class, no matter how young the kids are, I force them to speak always english, I open jakarta Corner (a corner where they can speak a word in indonesian for maximum 5 minutes), I also apply the “tick” method, when a kid says indonesian word, I’ll give a “tick” on their hand using my marker, it also applies on me, wheh then asks me a word, I must explain slowly with more simple language, when they don’t get it and I have no choice but tell them the indonesian word, each of them may give me “tick” too. somehow, it works.

So this is a class with 5 kids. In that class speaking in indonesian is counted as a very big mistake, the same like killing people. Sumtimes when they forgot, they’ll speak in bahasa. I’ll be happy giving them a tick :D

That day I gave a tick to nia bcos she said “iya” and was caught by james that directly report to me. Rule is rule, if we want the rule to be well implemented, we have to be serious. After nia, several students got ticks too. Then while doing their writing task, I saw them discussing sumthing, I thought it was about the lesson, then they all came to me.

“Ms we want to ask u, we don’t know how to read this in english” they showed me the book. Its written “motorcycle”. Then I started reading. As I started reading “motor..”, james closed the “cycle” part with his palm, I stopped, confused for sum seconds until I heard shouting. They’re all shouting happily, “ms widaaaa speak bahasaaa, ms speak bahasaaa”. I realized, they tricked me to say ‘motor’ which is only bahasa for them! I actually wanted to defend myself but I couldn’t stand looking at their happy face, then I finally allowed them to give me ticks, that was really your lucky day, kids :)
polka dot hand 

No comments: