Sunday, January 22, 2012

About Ella

When I first taught last year, I did an observation to a class for 6-7yo kids, there were 4 students, 2 girls and 2 boys. One of the girl was Ella, the principal and the teacher there said that she was 'different', she almost never spoke anything in class. That time when I came to that class, she was even making weird acts. She kept sitting on the floor under her desk. Her room's teacher had already asked her to sit properly but it was useless, she had no response. When other students played game, she was silent persistently in her position. She didn't make messy face, she smiled, but she just didn't care about those things. Later during the observation evaluation with the principal, I was explained that students like Ella did exist. She's eager to learn but she had her own way. Well, if that's the case, I felt relief.
Some days of observation had passed. One day, I was given a chance to give Ella a make up lesson, a lesson for student that miss a class. We were sitting quietly in Bristol (name of the room) when I started my presentation about material that she missed. She was good that time. She paid attention to me. When I asked her to do the practices, she just nodded her head and did it. That lesson went well, but I just had a feeling "this is not right". A kid should talk much at her age. I asked her some question like things she like, but as expected, no response. I tried other questions but they didn't work either. I almost gave up until I saw her bag, it was tinker bell patterned. I pointed at it and said "I know that pretty fairy, it is tink", she smiled brightly and nodded her head then she mumbled something. I asked, "do you watch the cartoon? it is good", I could see that she became interested as she said "yes" directly.
I was having butterfly in my stomach, I wanted to scream, "I got youu kid!", but then I laughed realizing that I didn't even play any games with her from the start. During the practice, she needed her eraser, she didn't have it in her pencil case, "my eraser is in my x (mentioned name of another english course) bag downstairs", she explained. I was a bit confused, but I told her to stay there, then I went downstairs to the receptionist table, she said, "miss, ini tas x-nya ella miss, dia ambil les bahasa inggris dua, di sini satu sama di x satu, tadi dia dari jam 1 sampe jam 3 di x, langsung nyambung di sini". I was shocked. Ella? a 6yo kid took 2 english courses, I thought it was too much. I pitied kids these days.
After finishing workbook, I asked her about plan for the upcoming weekend (saturday is the next day after that day), she whispered telling me, "I can not go tomorrow, I have clay course from morning to afternoon", I responded spontaneously, "hey! tomorrow's saturday", she whispered quieter, "yes, but I have class, I can not go there from sunday to friday, I have other courses too". I was surprised, she was just 6yo and she looked busier than 23yo someone like me, I knew that after she mentioned many courses she took. "is that fun, your clay class?", I asked her. "yes, I already make two, I have mouse and duck, I want to bring here but can not...". She mumbled more, I was touched, not only because of her story but also because it was the first time I saw her speaking like other kid, although it was more like mumbling and whispering, I would like to scream, "I hear you", but I knew it would scare her so I decided to put my best smile and tried to give my best responses. She told me many things, "I am moving school next month", I became curious, "why? are you moving home too?", she didn't answer me, she took her book, write a school name next to another school name, then she wrote some explanation. I could hardly understood that it was like"no, mommy says my school now is not good, it is international school but still not good, my new school is better..." She continued telling things by writing things that turned out to be hard to understand by my old school mind, I did think that kids, they needed time to play too, why didn't we just let them develop in easy way. I fell in love with her that day, no matter how different she was.
After some days, I had a chance to teach her class, that time, while preparing the warmer session, I prayed to God that she would join. I hold her little hand and invite her. She stood with her friends full of doubt. I looked at her, wished that she could read my mind "you'll be okay kid!". I was fully happy when she could say the game password, "bingo!", although it was with a very low voice, I could hear her it was really satisfying.
Well, I could say that Ella was the first student that impressed me there. It could be true that there are many Ellas around, but what I think, maybe, if she could, she would like to say this (I thought of this at that time):
"I know I'm quiet student, I know I'm different than others, I know I don't talk much and sometimes I act weird, but instead of leaving me in my own world, PLEASE PUT MORE EFFORT IN ME..."
Since then I promise myself, I won't ignore any Ella, I'm going to do my best try for silent students like Ella, no matter how long it takes.

No comments: